Did you know that actually a third of our life is spent sleeping? This is why it is very important to get a good night’s rest, because, together with our health, they depend on the sleeping posture and what we do before we go to bed. Therefore, we are here to present you with some great recommendations from top specialists on how to sleep properly and fix all the health and sleep problems you might have.
How to Fix Your Sleep Problems
1. Leg Cramps
- Leg cramps are sudden spasms or tightening of the muscles in the feet, calf or thighs.
- Almost 80% of people of all ages suffer from this. Night leg cramps are connected to some diseases, nerve damage or lack of trace elements.
- If you do experience them often, you will need to consult with your doctor.
- A good way to stop them would be to stretch and strengthen the calf muscles.
- You can try yoga or massaging the legs before you go to bed.
- Bear in mind that if you do get good results you will need to keep exercising.
- If you are one of those people who snore, you need to avoid sleeping on your back.
- This is due to the fact that throat issues appear and your tongue falls back into the throat and it narrows the airway.
- Also, choose a pillow carefully. This is because pillows which are too soft can cause the head to tilt backward and this will increase the snoring.
- You should use an extra pillow to elevate the head of the bed a few inches, just to stop your tongue to fall back over the windpipe.
- Furthermore, you need to sleep in a natural position to make sure nothing obstructs the airflow.
- You can also do special exercises for the muscles and throat which will help strengthen them and reduce the snoring.
3. Problem Waking Up
- Many people might have this problem, nevertheless, it is very easy to solve.
- You need to set the alarm on every day at the same time, even on weekends.
- If you want to get yo early, you also need to go to sleep early in the evening.
4. Can’t Stay Asleep
- If you are one of those people who tend to wake up often in the morning, you need to stop using your gadgets before you go to sleep.
- Also, you will need to avoid drinking alcohol before you go to bed.
- This is because the alcohol disrupts the water balance in the body and it affects the body circle.
- You might also want to check the room temperature.
- The ideal one would be 20-22°С.
5. Can’t Fall Asleep
- It might be very difficult to get rid of all the technology before you go to bed, but you need to.
- This will help immensely if you have been having some problems falling asleep.
- The light from the screens affects our sleep-wake cycles a lot.
- Also, you need to avoid consuming caffeine- coffee, energy drinks, soda, black tea, chocolate- at least 6 hours before you go to bed.
- What is more, it would be best to exercise in the morning and afternoon.
- This will help the whole body, it will improve circulation, thus helping you fall asleep faster.
6. Neck Pain
- Your neck needs to be supported as well as your back when you go to sleep.
- The best option here would be to sleep on your back with a pillow under the head and a pillow under each arm.
- People who have neck problems need to choose their pillows carefully.
- The best thing would be to opt for an orthopedic one or roll pillows.
- If you are a person who likes to sleep on the side, make sure your pillow is not too high.
- It must not be thicker than 6 inches. The best height should match the width of one shoulder, just to keep the neck in the correct position.
- If you are one of those sleepers who sleep on their stomach, you have to use the thinnest pillow.
- It is better to just not sleep in this position because it will strain your neck if your head is turned to one side only.
7. Back Pain
- You will need to maintain the normal curves of the spine if you have been experiencing back pain.
- If the mattress that you sleep on is very soft, you need to get a new one.
- The best way to get rid of this pain is to sleep on the back.
- Just put a pillow under the knees to restore the natural spinal curves and reduce the tension in the tendons.
- Another option would be a small rolled towel under the lower back for more support.
- If you sleep on your stomach, put one pillow under the lower abdomen and pelvis so that the small of the back does not move forward.
- Take the fetal position if you sleep on your side.
- Just draw the legs forward the chest a bit and keep the back naturally arched.
- Put one small pillow between the knees. This will help with the pain in the lower back area.
8. Shoulder Pain
- If you have a sore shoulder, do not sleep on the side.
- Also, you should not sleep on the stomach as well, because it can cause misalignment of the shoulders.
- The best position here would be to lie on your back. Just put a thin or orthopedic pillow under the head.
- Take one more and put it on the stomach and just hug it. This way the shoulders will be in a good and stable position.
- However, if you do not like sleeping on your back, try on the side that it is not painful.
- Just draw the legs a bit towards your chest and put a pillow between the legs.
- If you sleep with your hand under the head, you need to stop because this is not a natural position for the shoulder.
9. Other Problems
- Naturally, sleep problems can be as a result of many problems.
- They can span from fatigue and uncomfortable shoes to problems with even the digestive and nervous system.
- That is why only a doctor can tell you the problem and advice you how to treat it.
- Therefore, if you suffer from heartburn, you should lie on the left side.
- This will prevent the stomach contents to come back up in the esophagus and prevent the heartburn.
- Also, if your legs ache at night, use a roll pillow or the foot of the bed to keep the legs lifted while you are sleeping.
- The venous blood in the legs will run downward and this will alleviate the pain.
- You can also try to rub to massage the legs a bit before you go to bed. Finally, avoid consuming caffeine 6 hours before bed.
- We hope all of these were helpful for you and you can get the good night’s sleep you deserve!